The Art of Manliness – one of my favorite blogs – has an excellent post on the importance of maintaining eye contact with others. Leadership is a major topic here on Confederate Colonel, and eye contact is a social matter – actually, a social skill – that every Southern gentleman should practice.
The article not only discusses the reasons why it is so important, but why such a simple thing often seems so difficult. I know that I often have to remind myself of this and make a real conscious effort to make good eye contact when talking with others. I suspect that I am not alone in that.
Here are some of the key points. Be sure to read the full post.
Numerous studies have shown that people who make higher-levels of eye contact with others are perceived as being:
- More dominant and powerful
- More warm and personable
- More attractive and likeable
- More qualified, skilled, competent, and valuable
- More trustworthy, honest, and sincere
- More confident and emotionally stable
Why Eye Contact Is Vitally Important for Creating Positive Connections with Others
- Our eyes were made to connect.
- Our eyes reveal our thoughts and feelings.
- Eye contact shows attention.
- Eye contact creates an intimate bond.
Read the entire post here. This is indicated as “Part 1″, so watch for Part 2.
Added 02/12/2012 – Part 2 of this series can be seen here.